Sunday, September 17, 2006

Things That Get Baked

On Saturday I made Peach and Vanilla Yogurt Scones and Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate-Chip Cookies while Mike played Tekken Tag Team. I got these recipes from everbodylikessandwiches.blogspot.com . They are both pretty good, although I would make changes to both, I think. The Peach and Vanilla Yogurt Scones need more of a kick to them--maybe more vanilla, and I like my scones to be harder than the yogurt allows these to be. I also should probably not have used two peaches, instead of the suggested one, but I love peach! The Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate-Chip Cookies are quite tasty--I like them more than the scones. I already had added some pumpkin pie spice to this batch, and I think I will add more next time. I just want the pumpkin flavor to come through a bit more. I will also add a little more oats because I want more oats in an oatmeal cookie! Overall, these cookies are very tasty and Garnet, Mike, Audrey, and I have thoroughly enjoyed them.

Peach and Vanilla Yogurt Scones
1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup chilled butter, diced
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt [I used fat-free]
2 tablespoons milk
1 peach, diced [I used two--probably a bad idea]

1) Preheat the oven to 425.
2) In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add the butter. With your hands, combine the flour and butter together until the mixture is crumbly and the butter pieces are no larger than peas.
3) Add the vanilla extract, yogurt, milk, and peaches and stir into the flour mixture with a wooden spoon. When the mixture comes together, knead the dought a few tims, and then flatten dough into a disc about half an inch thick. Cut into 8 pieces, place on a cookie sheet. Baking for 10-15 minutes, or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.

Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate-Chip Cookies

2 cups flour
1 cup quick or old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup cooked and pureed pumpkin (I use canned)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Combine dry ingredients (flour through salt). Set aside.
3) Cream butter. Gradually add both sugars and cream until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and mix well.
4) Alternate additions of dry ingredients and pumpkin, mixing well after each addition.
5) Stir in chocolate chips.
6) Drop by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet, leaving room for cookies to spread. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until tops of cookies are dry and spring back when touched lightly. Remove from baking sheet and cool on racks.
Makes about 25-30 cookies, I think.

No comments: