Friday, September 01, 2006

Soba with Toasted Sesame Seed Sauce

For last night's dinner I made Soba with Toasted Sesame Seed Sauce from Didi Emmon's Vegetarian Planet, which is obviously my favorite cookbook. I actually made it on Wednesday night because it is supposed to be served room temperature or cold and I have a problem waiting for foods after I make them. It was quite tasty. Not the best thing ever, but I did really like it. I probably won't make it again because I'd rather go out for Japanese-style food or have Mike make me sushi.

Soba Noodles with Toasted Sesame Seed Sauce
1/2 cup white sesame seeds
2 tablespoons Chinese Black Vinegar or balsamic vinegar [I used balsamic]
2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon dark sesame seed oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced [I used ground ginger]
5 scallions, chopped fine (all parts)
3 cups broccoli or asparagus, blanched
8 0z soba noodles
1) Preheat the oven to 375. Place the sesame seeds on a baking sheet and bake them in the oven until the edges are a deep golden brown (about 10-12 minutes).
2) Cook the soba noodles in a large pot of heavily salted boiling water until tender, about 5-6 minutes. Drain, rinse with cool water, and drain again. Set aside.
3) In a large bowl combine the vinegar, soy sauce, sesame seed oil, garlic, ginger, and scallions. Add the sesame seeds and the soba noodles and stir well. Add the broccoli or asparagus and stir again. Let the dish sit for at least 30 minutes before eating. Serves four.

No comments: