Saturday, September 09, 2006

Five-Spice Biscotti and other things

I ate at Boca Grande for the first time yesterday. People have been telling me that it is better than El Pelon, but I disagree. I got a black bean, rice, and cheese burrito just like I would at El Pelon. I like Boca Grande--it is very tasty--but I like El Pelon's salsa better. However, I do like Boca Grande's hot sauce more than I like El Pelon's. Both are waywayway better than Ana's. Anyway, I made Five-Spice Biscotti. These are yummmmmy. They are from Vegetarian Planet, big surprise. Oh, and yay for Pumpkin Spice Lattes at Starbucks and Magic Hat Jinx beer. I love fall.

Five-Spice Biscotti
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons five-spice powder
1/4 teaspon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
3 1/3 cups unbleached white flour, or a bit more
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup almonds [I didn't have this much and I still think there are too many almonds in the biscotti]
1) Preheat the oven to 350. Grease two baking sheets. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and spices. Add the melted butter, and stir well.
2) In another bowl, mix together the 3 1/3 cups flour, the baking powder, the baking soda, the salt, and the almonds. Add half of this mixture to the egg mixture. Stir well with a wooden spoon. Add the second half of the flour mixture and stir until a smooth dough forms, adding a tablespoon or two of flour if the dough seems too tacky. (With floured hands, you should be able to form a small piece of dough into a ball.)
3) Place half the dough on one of the greased baking sheets. Form it into a large log, then flatten the log until it is 5 to 6 inches wide and 10 inches long. Do the same with the second half of the dough, using the second baking sheet.
4) Bake the logs for 35 minutes, until the logs are firm but give slightly when pressed with a finger. Remove the baking sheets from the oven, and reduce the oven temperature to 325.
5) While the logs are still warm, carefully transfer them with a large spatula to a cutting board. Cut them crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick diagonal slices. Lay the cookies on their sides on the baking sheets, and bake the cookies 15 minutes more.
6) Let the cookies cool. Stored in an airtight container, they will keep well for 2 weeks.
Makes about 20 biscotti.

No comments: