Sunday, September 17, 2006

A Mum Casserole

On Friday night I was craving something simple and easy and like my mum would make. I attempted to make a pasta-casserole-thing like she used to make when she was going back to school: vegetables, ziti, cheese. I added veggie crumbles from Yves because I am trying to get more protein and I thought Mike might like them. This dish turned out pretty well. There is way too much of it for two people, but we are working on eating the leftovers. I will probably make something like this again, but experiment with different fillings.

My Pasta-Casserole-Thing
8 oz whole wheat penne/ziti
4 garlic cloves
1 white onion
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
8 oz of baby bellas or other mushrooms of your choice
1 package of Yves ground round veggie crumbles
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 can of yummy marinara sauce
some grated cheese of your choice--I used a mozzarela-provolone blend

1) In a large pot of salted water, cook the pasta. Drain and set aside. Preheat oven to 375.
2) Chop up garlic, onion, peppers, and bellas and cook in some olive oil in a large saucepan until everything is starting to soften.
3) Add in the veggie crumbles and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
4) Dump all of this into the large pot, and add the diced tomatoes and marinara sauce. Cook for about 5-10 minutes, until everything is very hot.
5) Add the pasta and stir. Pour into a large baking dish (I used 9X13) and bake for about 20 minutes. Top with the cheese and bake for about another 5 minutes or until cheese is all melted and bubbly. Eat, but you will probably burn your mouth.

No comments: