Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Quick Three-Grain Brown Bread

I have made a few new recipes lately, but none of them were particularly tasty, so I'm not going to write them down. Last night I made Portobello Mushroom Philly Cheesesteaks for the billionth time because Mike and I both love them. I also made Quick Three-Grain Brown Bread Bread from Nava Atlas' The Vegetarian Family Cookbook, which I received as a gift from one of my co-workers. This bread was incredibly easy to throw together and is very tasty. I will definitely be making it again. Happy New Year to everyone!
Oh, and Lauren, I am jealous of your bread maker.

Quick Three-Grain Brown Bread
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup rye flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup low-fat yogurt or soy yogurt
2/3 cup low-fat milk, rice milk, or soy milk, or as needed
1/3 cup maple syrup, molasses, or barley malt syrup [I used pure maple syrup]
2 tablespoons safflower oil [I just used canola oil]

1) Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly oil a 9-by 5- by 3 inch loaf pan.
2) Combine the flours, cornmeal, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl and stir together.
3) Combine the remaining ingredients in another mixing bowl and whisk together until smoothly blended. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture, using enough milk to make a smooth, stiff batter. Stir together until completely combined.
4) Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a knife inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. When cool enough to handle, carefully removed the bread from the pan, place it on a rack or platter, and allow it to cool to just warm before slicing.


1 comment:

Lauren said...

That bread sounds good. It doesn't rise or need to be kneaded or anything so it doesn't even need a bread machine ;-) I like quick breads like that. I will save this recipe.