Sunday, January 14, 2007

Padre's Yummy Tofu

So I've been a vegetarian for almost twelve years, and never have I really liked tofu. I have tried (half-heartedly) with meals from restaurants, but I have never really thought it actually tasted good...and I have never tried to make it myself. However, my father recently found out his cholesterol and blood pressure were a teensy bit high and started a new, healthier regimen to combat this--including the frequent consumption of tofu. Since late November, he has been raving about tofu, particularly one style that he makes all the time. Needless to say, I thought he had gone mad. So, when Mike and I went home for Christmas, we were accosted by the tofu-loving monster--and found out that tofu can actually be downright delicious. We got his recipe then and there, and I have made it twice since, although I have neglected to post it on here. This method of preparing tofu is very simple and one I think every vegetarian (or people looking to eat more soy) should have in his/her repetoire. I serve it with rice or rice noodles tossed with an Asian vegetable medley (froze), some sesame oil, soy sauce, and sriracha. Yum.

Padre's Yummy Tofu
1 block extra-firm tofu
4 tablespoons cornmeal
2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
4 tablespoons soy sauce (or as needed)
canola oil
1) Slice the tofu into eight strips, lengthwise. Place on a bed of paper towels, top with more paper towels, and place something heavy over the tofu to press the water out. Leave for about 8-10 minutes. Note: Don't leave it for too long, as the tofu is already extra-firm.
2) Take each strip and dip both sides in soy sauce. Then coat each side in the mixture of cornmeal and whole-wheat flour.
3) Place each strip in a skillet with a little canola oil, and cook each side until crispy (about 2-3 minutes per side). Place on paper towels or a paper bag to soak up any leftover oil (there shouldn't be too much--not much is actually needed).
Serve with whatever you like, or eat by itself as a snack. When my dad eats it by itself, he tops it with a combination of 1 part soy sauce to 2 parts mirin.
Yum.

No comments: