Sunday, October 22, 2006

Asparagus Wasabi Tempura

I have been horrible at updating this thing, but, frankly, I have not been doing too much cooking lately. Studying and the stupid job have kept me far too busy, sadly. The other night--I can't even remember what night--I attempted to make Asparagus Wasabi Tempura from Didi Emmon's Vegetarian Planet to pair with the Vietnamese Noodle Salad that I have made before. Unfortunately, my wasabi powder was weaksauce and the tempura was completely without wasabi flavor. The stuff was still tasty, but not at all what I was hoping for. I will definitely make this again sometime with stronger, better wasabi powder. The Vietnamese Noodle Salad was as tasty as it was before.
Asparagus Wasabi Tempura
16 asparagus spears
3/4 cup unbleached white flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 to 2 teaspoons wasabi powder
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup beer (any kind will do)
About 2 cups canola or corn oil
1) Break off the tough ends of the asparagus, and discard the end pieces.
2) In a bowl, mix together the flour, cornstarch, salt, sugar, baking powder, ginger, and wasabi.
3) Add the water and beer to the flour mixture, and whisk slowly until the batter is smooth. Transfer the batter into a pan at least 8 inches wide.
4) In a saucepan or skillet at least 8 inches in diameter, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Test the oil by dropping in a 1/2 teaspoon of the batter. If it immediately bubbles and fizzes, the oil is ready. Dip one asparagus spear into the batter, then drop it into the oil, being careful not to splash the oil too much. Add 7 more batter-dipped asparagus spears, and let them fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove them to paper towels with a large slotted spoon. Dip and fry the remaining asparagus spears, and blot them on the paper towels. Serve the tempura immediately.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Oh my god that sounds so good. I don't know how I missed that recipe in the cookbook.