Saturday, August 19, 2006

Rarebit Risotto and Chive and Garlic Bread

I have not had very much luck with the Moosewood Simple Suppers cookbook. I did not have any luck last night, either. I also think that I don't like risotto very much. Mike does not either, I believe. Katie likes risotto but doesn't like mustard, so this didn't go over so well with her either. I really like all the ingredients in it, but somehow it ended up being bland. I am not going to get rid of this cookbook yet, but I will not be making any more risotto ever. Maybe someone who enjoys risotto more would like this.

Rarebit Risotto
1 quart vegetable broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
12 ounces beer (1 bottle)
3 cups chopped broccoli
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
4 cups loosely packed grated sharp Cheddar cheese (I used low fat)
2 cups chopped tomatoes or halved cherry tomatoes (I used cherry tomatoes)
black pepper to taste

1) In a saucepan, bring the broth to a boil and then reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
2) Meanwhile, in a large, heavy saucepan on medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the rice and stire until well coated with oil. Add the beer and stire until the rice has absorbed the liquid, a couple of minutes.
3) Ladle in the simmering broth a cup at a time, stirring often. Let the rice absorb most of the broth before adding the next cup, usually about 5 minutes between additions.
4) While the risotto is cooking, steam the broccoli until bright green and just tender. Set aside.
5) When the last of the broth is absorbed, the kernels of rice should be al dente and the risotto moist. Add the mustard and cheese to the risotto and stire until the cheese is melted.
6) Stir in the broccoli and tomatoes, season with black pepper, and serve hot. Serves four (I think this is seriously overestimating people's appetites).


I also made Chive and Garlic Bread from Cooking Light. Actually, the bread was supposed to be knots, not bread, but I was lazy. This was okay. I was not a fan because I thought it was a little too greasy and fat-tastic, but Katie loved it. I think I would like it more if it was crunchier and that the fact that packaged bread dough was used was in direct correlation with its mediocrity.

Chive and Garlic Knots
1 1/2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 (11-ounce) can refrigerated French bread dough
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or green onions
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Cooking spray

1) Preheat oven to 350°.
2) Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add minced garlic; sauté 30 seconds or until lightly browned. Remove from heat; stir in garlic powder.
3)Unroll the French bread dough onto a lightly floured surface; brush dough with garlic mixture. Sprinkle the dough with chives and cheese.
4) Cut the dough crosswise into 12 strips. Shape each strip into a knot. Place the knots onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
5) Bake at 350° for 17 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.



No comments: